Studio Gobo is an established AAA games studio, part of the Keywords Studios family. Our team has worked on multiple world-class projects for companies such as Tencent, Disney, Ubisoft and Warner Bros. Projects include Synced: Off-Planet, For Honor, Marvel Super Heroes: Guardians of the Galaxy and Star Wars: Rise Against the Empire playsets for Disney Infinity 3.0.
At Studio Gobo, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products, and our community. Studio Gobo is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We offer a comprehensive benefits package and an award-winning environment to work in, rating 4.9 out of 5 stars for employee satisfaction on glassdoor.com!
Studio Gobo is looking for a talented Lighting Artist who possesses the ability to light environments, cutscenes and characters for a AAA character action console video game. This position has a significant impact on many teams work and is responsible for creating atmosphere, realism, tone, depth, drama or narrative. They will also establish and clarify location, weather, time of day for all our game worlds.
What You Will Be Doing
- Work closely with the Art Director, Lead Artist and Environment Team to establish the aesthetic and technical standards for the games lighting and cinematic style.
- Collaborate with the client’s vision for lighting and tone and able to interpret feedback effectively.
- Reinforce gameplay interactions, readability, and traversal through lighting techniques.
- You will be the point of contact for lighting, work with the client to ensure the lighting setup is authored according to their guidelines.
- Develop and maintain lighting pipeline and project workflow specific documentation.
- Create, setup and maintain all elements of lighting, i.e. dynamic, prebaked, interior and exterior for all game levels on our projects.
- Make a significant direct contribution to the lighting of all game environments. Responsible for placing, tweaking, balancing and optimising of light sources within all game levels.
- Creation of sky setups, mood, atmospherics, look and tone of our game worlds.
- Tuning of surface shading materials and textures to improve the perception of world lighting.
- Working to ensure the Art Direction and vision is delivered on and kept consistent with other lighter’s work across the project. Post processing; color grading, exposure, SSAO, GI etc.
- Contributing to the development and placing of special effects related to lighting and atmosphere.
- Prototyping the use of lighting technology to reach the visual targets defined by the art direction.
- Collaborate with the Technical Art and Engineering teams to develop tools and pipelines.
- Visually communicate lighting concepts through the creation of colour scripts, mood boards and corrective paint over production pieces.
- Demonstrate, communicate, and exemplify clear expectations for quality of work, productivity, communication, and professionalism to the team.
- Partner closely with Technical Artists and TD’s to deliver an efficient and stable lighting pipeline.
- Perform special projects as assigned.
These are some of the things we’d love to see from you to be an excellent fit for the role:
- 2+ years of production lighting experience on a successful game, TV or film project
- Exceptional understanding of composition, lighting, color theory, colour space etc.
- Full understanding of lighting/rendering technologies specifically PBR workflows (pre-render and real-time rendering), materials/shaders and their relationship to light.
- Pro-active in the use of lighting as a powerful tool in gameplay clarity and a positive champion for the Art Direction and its execution in-game.
- Prior experience working with the current state of the art game engines for modern console hardware. Experience with Unreal a distinct advantage.
- A showreel, demonstrating your visual and technical ability.
- Passion, drive and genuine interest in playing games.